Monday, January 7, 2013

Las Meninas / Picasso

Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to visit the The Picasso Black and White exhibit at the Guggenheim The collection was varied and vast and showed how Picasso used blacks, whites, and the grays in between throughout his career.

"Claiming that color weakens, Pablo Picasso purged it from his work in order to highlight the formal structure and autonomy of form inherent in his art."

Picasso was so free in his art. That's what hit me as I stood there.
My favorite piece was his revamp of Velazquez's Las Meninas, which I vaguely knew about but was astounded to see it in person.

Why does that black caped silhouette haunt me so?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The exchange of ideas is a key part of the human experience, don't you think? I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...