Monday, November 30, 2009

In every human being, a divine spark.

After seeing Puccini's one-act opera Gianni Schicchi at the Met last weekend, I was reminded of just how beautiful the aria 'O Mio Babbino Caro' is.  It's absolutely body shivering divine - the best minute of the opera.  I wonder sometimes if composers know exactly when they've struck it - that golden melody that will play and thump upon the heart strings of millions for centuries.  It must have been a moment of uncontainable joy.  And to do it over and over again like Puccini did!  Unfathomable really.  When I searched for a video of this aria, I came across tons of Maria Callas, and I was reminded of how lovely and elegant she was. Here she is, in her element. The joy she gets from performing is palpable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The exchange of ideas is a key part of the human experience, don't you think? I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...